According to the Humane Society of the U.S.,
“Each year, 2.7 million adoptable dogs and cats are euthanized in the United States, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people consider adoption when looking for a pet.
The number of euthanized animals could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. When you adopt, you save a loving animal by making them part of your family and open up shelter space for another animal who might desperately need it.”
That’s why I have created a list of 6 reasons why you should adopt instead of shop.
You may think that all of the dogs in shelters are mutts but according to the MSPCA 1/3 of dogs in shelters are purebred.
6 reasons to adopt a pet:
- You saved a dogs life by adopting it
- You raise awareness to shelters by adopting from one
- Pets at shelters are usually a lower cost than pets in pet shops
- You are fighting puppy mills
- According to the Humane Society of the U.S.,”If you buy a dog from a pet store,online seller or flea market, you’re almost certainly getting a dog from a puppy mill.Puppy mills are factory-style breeding facilities that put profit above the welfare of dogs. Animals from puppy mills are housed in shockingly poor conditions with improper medical care, and are often very sick and behaviorally troubled as a result. The moms of these puppies are kept in cages to be bred over and over for years, without human companionship and with little hope of ever joining a family. And after they’re no longer profitable, breeding dogs are simply discarded—either killed, abandoned or sold at auction.These puppy mills continue to stay in business through deceptive tactics — their customers are unsuspecting consumers who shop in pet stores, over the Internet or through classified ads. Puppy mills will continue to operate until people stop supporting them. By adopting a pet, you can be certain you aren’t giving them a dime.”
- You help an animal shelter open up a space for other homeless animals
According to http://list25.com/25-reasons-to-adopt-and-not-shop/
“The role of animal shelters is to provide a shelter for homeless animals. This means that when you adopt an animal from one of these shelters, you help provide a home for that animal while at the same time opening up space for another homeless animal.”
- A majority of “Pre-owned”dogs are already house trained
- When you adopt a dog they are usually already house trained, which usually means no extra house training will be needed.
Interested in adopting a new fluffy friend?
A few shelter/rescues are listed below:
Follow my blog for weekly posts!